Monday, July 13, 2009

Acer Aspire One 751h Mini Review

Acer Aspire One 751h Mini Review

Well I recently made a trip from California to Ohio, and I have to get an inexpensive laptop to do it. I ended up getting an Acer Aspire One 751h. I did some reasearch and it turned out to be exactly what I needed. It comes with an Intel Z520 Atom Processor, 2 Gigs of Memory, a 250 Gig hard drive, and the option to run Vista, or XP. It can also run linux more on that later.

This is very much a netbook by any standard, with no optical drive, and a small 11.6 inch sreen boasting a resolution of 1366 x768. (720p HD screen) This means that most standard applications that don't fit the widscreen format will at least run scaled at a native format of 1024x768 It has been great for doing work on the internet, listening to music, and typing documents. We were able to stream to Stickam by utilizing a webcam, and connecting to the internet, by utilizing my HTC G1 cell phone. We did all of this while driving in the car. (my copilot was at the computer controls.)

The battery time is decent, and it looks like I might be able to get a bigger battery for it. I like the full size keyboard, but it does take a little getting used to because the keys are perfectly flat. It has very many things going for it. I have dual booted Ubuntu onto it and am probably going to install Windows 7 on it. Ubuntu runs fine on it, however because of the new graphics architecture used, the graphics acceleration isn't working well. Leaving most eye candy, and graphical tasks lacking processing power.

So now I get to some of the things that I don't like. The memory is not expandable (as far as I know), and it doesn't do fullscreen video very well. The VGA out works fine, however if you wanted to watch a full screen movie or do a full screen presentation, you may be disspointed.

Its important to note, that the graphics performance, make improve greatly as new drivers are released however at release, they leave a bit to be desired.

All in all its a decent Netbook, with quite a bit of bite for its class. It turns out its Z520 Atom Processor is has Hyper-Threading & Intel VT technologies. (Source Wikipedia). It easily keeps up with similarly priced offerings in its class, and did I mention a multi gesture touchpad, and webcam?

I like the little trooper, and have adopted it into my business. I will post pictures of it soon.What kind of netbook do you own? (tell us in the comments below)

No comments:

Post a Comment